Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Subject Matter

My program is all about Communist and Post-Communist Central and Eastern Europe. And let me tell you, my entire world has been turned upside with the knowledge I have obtained. I definitely do not have a full grasp, but I am starting to get a good feel for what happened, what high school failed to teach me. Learning about the corruption, persecution, discrimination and evil that occurred under communism and still today has really made me appreciate (i know this sounds cliche) my freedom.


In Budapest, we visited the House of Terror; it was the headquarters for the Arrowcross party (the Hungarian Nazi Regime) as well as the communism headquarters. Many innocent people were tortured and killed in the building, which is now a museum. The value of learning all about the history while being IN the countries and visiting historical places has been priceless.

>>>These are just some pictures I took from the Museum, which consisted of exhibits covering the beginning of Communism, the Gulags, WWII/Holocaust, the Rise of Communism, fall of Communism and much more.<<<


House of Terror Museum


Memorial for the religious persecution under the Communist Regime 

We spent today at Radio Free Europe Headquarters in Prague. What they are doing is providing accurate and free news to nations who sadly do not get that from their own government. What's interesting too is it is SOLELY FUNDED BY THE US CONGRESS...Yes, our tax dollars go to this amazing organization.

 I think of all the news sources I can instantly access and trust....and then learn about the dozens of countries who are cut off from the world and ultimately from the truth. It's a whole different world out there.

I felt I needed to blog a bit about the educational aspect of my experience abroad, because surprisingly, it is  becoming a major part of why this time here is so life-changing. Not having any background in this subject matter has made this all the more shocking, but if I could encourage anyone to do their own research and learn about something new or more in-depth, this is some pretty interesting stuff to have happened (so recently too).

 If anyone is even reading this....

No comments:

Post a Comment